What Do You Need to Graduate?
Students must earn the following compulsory credits to obtain the Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
- 4 credits in English (1 credit per grade)
- The Ontario Secondary School Literacy Course (OSSLC) may be used to meet either the Grade 11 or the Grade 12 English compulsory credit requirement.
- The Grade 11 Contemporary Aboriginal Voices course may be used to meet the Grade 11 English compulsory credit requirement.
- For English language learners the requirement may be met through earning a maximum of 3 credits in English as a second language (ESL) or English literacy development (ELD); the fourth credit must be a Grade 12 compulsory English course.
- 3 credits in mathematics (at least 1 credit in Grade 11 or 12)
- 2 credits in science
- 1 credit in Canadian history
- 1 credit in Canadian geography
- 1 credit in the arts
- The Grade 9 Expressing Aboriginal Cultures course may be used to meet the compulsory credit requirement in the arts.
- 1 credit in health and physical education
- 1 credit in French as a second language
- Students who have taken Native languages in place of French as a second language in elementary school may use a Level 1 or 2 Native language course to meet the compulsory credit requirement for French as a second language.
- 0.5 credit in career studies
- 0.5 credit in civics
Plus one credit from each of the following groups:
- Group 1:
English (including the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Course), French as a second language, classical languages, international languages, Native languages, Canadian and world studies, Native studies, social sciences and humanities, guidance and career education, cooperative education
- Group 2:
French as a second language, the arts, business studies, health and physical education, cooperative education
- Group 3:
French as a second language, science (Grade 11 or 12), computer studies, technological education, cooperative education
Note: The following conditions apply to selections from the above three groups:
- A maximum of 2 credits in French as a second language my count as additional compulsory credits, 1 credit from Group 1, and 1 credit from either Group 2 or Group 3.
- A maximum of 2 credits in cooperative education may count as additional compulsory credits, selected from any of Groups 1, 2, or 3.
In addition to the compulsory credits, students must complete:
- 12 optional credits
- 40 hours of community involvement activities
- the provincial secondary school literacy requirement
Are you a mature student?
Have your documents reviewed by our school principal to determine what you need to meet Ontario Secondary School Diploma requirements. For more information, see our mature student page.
Need more information?
You can find out more about Ontario Secondary School Diploma requirements in our eSchool policy and procedures document.